We love explaining the public what we do – and also what we don’t. We usually take on an invitation to come and talk about our research, whether in schools or other public events. Below is a list of past and future outreach activities, and some photos.If you want to hear about our work, please feel free to drop a line and we will be happy to accommodate.
Please note: we often receive invitations to come and talk at secondary schools and we gladly oblige with a seminar. However, if you are interested in such an event I would recommend to reserve at least 2 hours of your time because it is a better investment of time for everybody: me and you. Coming to talk at a school often means I am dedicating half a day to it so we may as well combine the seminar with an informal, longer Q&A session and discuss other stuff too, such as University admissions, life as researchers, you name it.
All outreach in schools is done pro-bono but if your school is in the independent sector I will kindly ask for travel reimbursement.
Video, Photos and Audios
Past outreach events
- September – Together with a group of 20 international artists and three scientists, Giorgio took part to an art/science exhibition on the nature of dreams in London. More information at http://www.in-dreams.org.
- June – Giorgio gave a TEDx talk organised by the WycombeAbbey school. The title of the talk was “Facts and dogmas of sleep: what we know and what we think we know, but we don’t. The talk is available on the homepage”.
- March – Anne led some Biology Workshops for A-level students in the Wohl Reach Out Lab at Imperial (They learned Bradman assay, SDS-Page, and Thin-layer chromatography)
- April – Giorgio gave a seminar at the Tonbridge boarding school
- May – The whole lab organized a special stand at the annual Imperial Festival
- May – Giorgio gave a seminar at the Judd School, in Tonbridge.
- Summer – We hosted Filitsa, a high-school student from the in2science program. Thanks Alice for her supervision! Filitsa wrote a very nice report of her experience on the in2science blog.
- March – Alice represented the lab at the DNA summer school, presenting her work to A-level students
- May – Anne represented the lab at the yearly Imperial Festival
- Summer – We hosted a student from the in2science program. Thanks Alice for her supervision!
- April – Giorgio gave a seminar at the North London Collegiate School
- May – Anne ran sessions on extracting DNA from strawberries @ the Imperial Festival
- March – Anne at the Oxford Neuroscience Week, Nuffield Department of Neuroscience, Oxford demonstrating general anatomy and function of the brain and sleep function using ’Sleep and the Brain’ activities
- April – Anne was at the BNA 2013 (Conference of British Neuroscience Association), demonstrating psychophysical diagnostics using reaction time tasks
- November – Anne at the Robosafari, Robogals at Science Museum London, conducting a ’Build your own robot’ workshop
- September – the lab had a stand at the second Imperial Festival
- October – Giorgio discussed the goals and goods of Open Access publishing at the largest conference on Science policy and Outreach, SpotON